An instrument for the management of social support programmes for people with severe mental disorders
Andalusian Regional Government
People with severe mental disorders are a group characterised by the need for care, over long periods of time, in significant and diverse areas of their social, personal and family functioning. These difficulties may be accompanied by varying degrees of disability and dependence.
Today, there is a high degree of professional consensus as to the interventions which should be available and which are effective for the individual with serious mental illness and his or her family. This requires a co-ordinated set of interventions in the areas of health and social support which guarantee his or her permanence in the community and respect in his or her consideration as a citizen.
In Andalusia, the care of these people is carried out through the health and social services which are community based and orientated. There is also a specific network of social support programmes – complementary to both the health services and the general social, employment and education services, – managed by the Andalusian Public Foundation for Social Integration of the People with Mental disorders
THE MODEL OF SERVICES OFFERED BY FAISEM
At the request of the Andalusian Parliament, FAISEM was created in 1993 with the following characteristics:
- Public responsibility, through the Departments of Health, Social Services, Employment and Economy and Finance of the Junta de Andalucia.
- Financing, through the general budgets of the Andalusian Autonomous community.
- As an instrument of the intersectorial policy of the Andalusian Administration, its goal is the development and management of resources to provide social support for individuals with disabilities derived from serious mental illness.
- A structure and functioning following efficiency and quality criteria, and including the participation of professionals, family, users and other social bodies.
- A model of services supported by co-ordination with the general health and social service networks.
THE NETWORK OF SOCIAL SUPPORT PROGRAMMES IN OPERATION
Since its creation, FAISEM has been consolidating a network of social support resources, mainly through direct management, but also through Collaboration Agreements with various institutions, in which a total of 1.000 individuals (December 2009) have a professional role. A set of actions and services which are carried out in co-ordination with the general health and social service networks, and which are accessed through the mental health services of the Andalusian Public Health System and the Services of the Department of Equality and Welfare.
The principal lines of action of FAISEM (December 2009) are as follows:
A) The Residential Programme provides accommodation with varying degrees of support in:
- 194 apartments ("supervised housing") with a total of 758 places
- 50 sheltered homes with a total of 807 places
- 2 boarding houses with 11 places
- Home support programmes used by 585 individuals
- And arrangements with 30 residential homes with a total of 122 places
B) The Occupational Programme offering care in:
- 123 occupational workshops, with a total of 2.747 places.
C) The Labour or Employment Programme which develops professional training and employment support activities, some of which are carried out through the company, Iniciativas de Empleo Andaluzas, S.A. (IDEA, S.A.) basically:
- 8 services of employment guidance and support, attended by 2.860 individuals and providing 841 contracts on the open market.
- 52 professional training courses with 257 places.
- 9 Social Firms providing employment to 534 individuals, 256 of whom have mental health problems.
- PROZAIMUT, S.L. in Sevilla
- INLACODE, S.L., IN Sevilla
- GRUPO DE EMPRESAS SOCIALES DE JAEN, S.L.
- MULTISER DEL MEDITERRANEO, S.L. in Málaga
- PROILABAL, Promoción de Iniciativas Almerienses, S.L
- Gestión de Servicios la Cartuja "GESSER" S.L. in Cádiz
- AZAHARA SUR, S.L. in Córdoba
- AJARDINAMIENTOS NEVADAS, S.L. in Granada
- INDESUR, Informática y Decoración del Sur, S.L. in Huelva
D) Leisure and Free Time, providing opportunities for re-socialisation through:
• 52 Social Clubs, attended by 1.719 users
• A programme of holidays and sports activities used by 709 individuals
E) Wardenship, promoting and supporting the development of institutions with wardens on a provincial level, attended by a total of 671 individuals.
F) In addition to various Training, Research and National and International Activities.
G) Programme Sport in people with severe mental health disorders.
H) Support programme for Homeless and Imprisioned People with Severe Mental Health Disorders.
I) Support Andalusian Federation of Relatives of People with Mental Disorders (FEAFES-ANDALUCIA) and Andalusian Platform of Associations of Users of Mental Health.
Avda. de las Ciencias, 27, Acc.A
Tel. (+34) 955 00 75 00 – Fax (+34) 955 00 75 25
Crta. de Ronda, 226, 3ª plt., Edif. "Bola Azul"
Tel. (+34) 950 01 71 15 – Fax (+34) 950 01 71 16
C/ Eguiluz, 2, 1ª plt.
11402 JEREZ DE LA FRONTERA (CÁDIZ)
Tel. (+34) 856 81 41 50 – Fax (+34) 856 81 41 51
C/ Virgen del Perpetuo Socorro, 14-16
Tel. (+34) 957 35 59 30 – Fax (+34) 957 35 59 31
Centro de Salud "El Realejo", 2ª planta
C/ Campo del Príncipe s/n
Tel. (+34) 958 57 57 20 – Fax (+34) 958 57 57 21
C/ Galaroza, 53 Local
Tel. 959 65 06 60 - Fax 959 65 06 61
Cortijo "Las Lagunillas"
Ctra. Hospital Princesa de España a Residencia Santa Teresa
Apdo. de correos 563
Tel. (+34) 953 31 34 90 – Fax (+34) 953 31 34 91
Recinto Hospital Civil, Plaza Hospital Civil, s/n
Tel. (+34) 951 03 45 00 – Fax (+34) 951 03 45 01
Ronda Triana, 56
Tel. (+34) 954 71 24 10 – Fax (+34) 954 71 24 11